Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Artist Statement

I try to capture the vibrating electric energy I feel around me. Sometimes it's light or wind or even the energy put out by a peaked mountain or the ever reaching branches of an Oak tree. I see this energy in full bright and vibrant color. Most of the time my watercolor paintings end up being an impression or an abstract of the real thing. Recently I've been exploring things underground, which is showing up in my newer paintings such as "Down Under". I live in California near the San Anderas fault and even though earthquakes aren't that often, I'm always aware of what might be going on under my feet.


Down Under by Deb R Collins http://www.debrcollins.com
Down Under by Deb R Collins


Art has always been a companion and a way of quiet reflection for me. For years I worked teaching computer classes, doing website design, and being the go to technical software and computer guru. On the side though, I have always been a photographer and a painter. Unlike in the technical computer world of numbers, painting is where anything is possible, there are no boundaries and no limits. I use painting as a way to explore endless images and colors I see around me. Every new piece is a mini vacation in my head! Sometimes I begin with a photo, a dream, an emotion to things around me, or even a shape or color. 

The watercolor paints I use today came after several years of trying different mediums. I settled on watercolor because I liked the transparency and the ability to carefully layer each color - and the freedom I feel when using it. My technique has definitely evolved over the years. Because of my technical background my older work has very fine lines and would be considered "realistic" (left brained). Although these paintings get a positive response for my fans, I found that I felt literally caged by the process. At the risk of loosing collectors, I chose to move over to what I felt the right side of my brain wanted (I am left handed after all!)

Contact me anytime deb@debrcollins.com I hope that you enjoy my work!



No comments:

Post a Comment